- 23:4-5 … An animal belonging to an enemy … God said, “take it back.”
- Verse 5 describes a different set of circumstances involving an animal and has a different word.
- Rather than use the word “enemy” as we have in verse 4, verse 5 has the word “hate.”
- “Lying under his burden” is another way of saying, collapsed under its load.
GAL. 6:2 –HELPING OTHERS “BEAR BURDENS.”
- Two burdens a lot of people have are summed up by the words “hate” and “enemy.”
- Today we want to see consder 3 points about “hate” and enemies.
- First, hate and enemies will be an on-going problem in our world.
- Second, the Bible has some things to say about hate and enemies in our own lives.
- Third, we have some things to help others bear the burdens of hatred and enemies.
- Two of the subjects Jesus had a lot to say about were hatred and enemies.
- When speaking of enemies, Jesus said they may be “in our own house” (Mt. 10:36).
- 13:25 Jesus said – READ
- Having hate in the heart or having enemies often creates a “burden” which must be borne.
BEFORE WE CAN HELP OTHERS BEAR THE BURDENS OF HATRED AND HAVING ENEMIES, WE NEED TO BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH THESE PROBLEMS IN OUR OWN LIVES.
- Going back to Ex. 23, we find a hint of the right attitude.
- What is God’s will when it comes to enemies and hate?
- 5:44 – READ
- LOVE your enemies.
- LOVE the haters. DO GOOD to an enemy.
- Even go so far as to PRAY for those who hate and want to destroy you.
- In Rom. 12:20 Paul said, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him.” Thirsty, give him a drink.
Back in the OT God said “return an enemy’s animal.”
- In the New Testament (the one under which we live), the emphasis is not on animals.
- Now we have really specific information about helping someone who hates us.
- 4:16 Paul said speaking the truth could cause a person to become an enemy.
- The word is God’s “enemy” (Jas. 4:4), so faithful Christians will have enemies from the world.
- In Jn. 15:18 the Lord warned the apostles and ultimately us –
- “If the world hateth you, ye know that it hath hated me before (it hated) you.”
WE HAVE A MESSAGE TO SHARE.
- If sometime soon someone comes to us and talks about enemies and hate, what should we say?
- If a Christian is struggling with hate and enemies, pray with him or her.
- Re-study those verses in the Bible which talk about these topics.
- Consider how we were “enemies” of God before being converted (Rom. 5:10).
- Show people how they can destroy their enemies.