Calling people back to the Word of God
Is America a “Christian nation”?
- In the Bible the word “Christian” has a very specific meaning.
- A Christian undergoes a very specific process (the “new birth,” Jn. 3:3, 5).
- A person who is truly a “Christian” is “born anew” and then lives in a “new way.”
- A Christian is also someone who follows the pattern God has given for NT worship.
- From about 1790 to the middle of the 19th century, there was a swell of interest in the Bible.
Preacher were saying, “Let’s speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent.”
- There were calls for “no creed but Christ, no book but the Bible, and no name but the divine.”
So many people were becoming Christians 200 years ago, some though world was ending.
- If we look closely at our time, things have changed.
- Mention God on a sign on public property, and a lawsuit may be in our future.
- In the last 200 years there has been a major shift away from God.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT LIVING IN A CULTURE A LOT LIKE OURS.
In 2 Kgs. 22 we read about a king – a pretty good king.
Josiah had access to the royal throne at age 8 (2 Kgs. 22:1).
2 Kgs. 22:2 says he “did what was right” in the eyes of God.
After 8 years (2 Chron. 34:3), this young man was still seeking God.
After Josiah had reigned for 12 years (20 years of age), turned his attention to the sin of idolatry.
About 600 years before Jesus arrived, Israel was involved with idols.
About halfway between 20-30, this king begins to engage in some really important reforms.
Verses 4-7 of 2 Kgs. 22 – READ
Verse 8 – READ
God’s law was discovered and a decision was made to alert the king to this news.
Josiah had the Bible read to him – verse 10 – READ
It would come as a shock to some people, but rulers need to hear the Word of God.
This king listened to the Word of God and then he reacted to what he heard.
Verse 11 – READ
After hearing God’s word, Josiah was concerned.
This man ripped his clothes and then gave a command – verse 13 – READ
Verses 16-17 – READ
Good things do not come to those who reject the will of God.
Verses 18-20 – READ