1. When it comes to things related to religion, people can have some very bizarre ideas.
2. There are claims such as people carrying swords in heaven to “keep out the devil.”
THE BIBLE AND HUMAN HISTORY TELL US THAT PEOPLE HAVE HAD ALL KINDS OF IDEAS, NOT ALL OF WHICH ARE RIGHT OR IN HARMONY WITH THE SCRIPTURES.
1) Rev. 3:2 are, “be thou watchful.”
2) This instruction was important for Christians in the first century and it is important in our time.
3) In this lesson we will do a word study on the term translated “watchful” in Rev. 3:2.
a) If we examine this word we find that it is used almost 25 times in the New Testament.
b) In over half of these places this term was used by Jesus.
c) The Lord’s repeated use of the word “watchful” tells us that He believed this is very, very important.
d) If we are going to preach Christ, we must also preach a message of “watchfulness.”
e) The Lord first used this term in Mt. 24:42 and Mt. 24:43 – READ
4) In Mt. 25:13 Jesus again spoke of His next coming and HE again said “watch.”
5) In Mt. 26:38 Jesus told some disciples to “watch” with Him.
6) Mt. 26:40-41 – READ
7) The attention given to watchfulness in Matthew by Jesus is also found in the book of Mark.
a) In Mk. 13 we have we have four back-to-back verses which use the word “watch” 3 times.
b) Mk. 13:34-37 – READ
8) As Jesus spoke about His second coming He said “all” were to be watchful.
9) Luke 12:37 says those who are “watchful” will be “blessed” when the Lord returns.
THIS WORD IN THE REST OF THE NEW TESTAMENT.
a) Acts 20:31 says the elders in a local congregation were to “watch.”
b) The reason for this instruction is found in the preceding verse.
c) Paul said from within the eldership men would “arise” and they would “speak perverse things.”
d) Verse 29 compares these men to “wolves” who would “enter the flock” and “not spare the sheep.”
2) Today this passage still applies. We need to be watchful and ready for the Lord’s return.
3) Christians also need to be “watchful” in their local congregation.
4) 7/8/13 – Big news about a highly skilled woman serving as a preaching intern/minister in CT.
5) Some are now asking how a congregation has come to a point where it now has a woman preacher.
6) The answer is found in Acts 20 and the word “watch.” A congregation has failed to be watchful.
7) In 1 Cor. 16:13 Paul said four things: WATCH, stand fast in the faith, behave like men, be strong.
8) In Col. 4:2 Paul connected “watching” (the word we are studying from Rev. 3:2) with prayer.
9) As we look at the Bible multiple congregations in the New Testament were told to watch.
10)Corinthians, the Colossians, and the elders at Ephesus … The Thessalonians – 1 Thess. 5:6.
11)Christianity is a very serious matter, and we need to pay close attention to spiritual matters.
a) 1 Pet. 5:8 – READ
b) Will we follow the will of God and “be watchful watch”?