1) 1 Jn. 2:16 – READ
2) In verses like 1 Jn. 2:16 “the world” describes a way of life contrary to God’s will.
3) God tells us the world has its own way of doing things and its own set of beliefs.
a) Our world says get, keep and collect; the Bible says give.
b) For our first point I want to cite just a few verses in the New Testament that deal with giving.
2) Mt. 5:42 – READ
3) Mt. 7:11 – Jesus spoke about “giving good gifts to children.”
4) Mt. 10:42 has the Lord encouraging us to “give a cold drink” to people who need it.
5) Mt. 22:21 is the place where Jesus said “give to the government (pay taxes).
6) When the apostles started their work, we see significant attention given to giving.
7) In Acts 3:6 Peter said he did not have any “silver and gold.”
8) Others (Acts 2:45) had various material possessions.
a) In Rom. 12:20 Paul spoke about “giving” to our enemies.
9) Our world often believes in and practices what I would describe as token or moderate giving.
THE WORLD’S WISDOM IS A POPULAR WAY TO LIVE, BUT THIS IS NOT THE WAY GOD HAS PICTURED THE CHRISTIAN LIFE.
1) In 2 Cor. 12:15 Paul described himself; here is what he said – READ
2) When it came to giving, Paul said he gave and gave and gave.
3) It is interesting that Jn. 19:23 says soldiers “took Jesus’ garments” and divided them.
4) Rom. 12:1 says “a living sacrifice.”
5) The depth of this sacrificial life is further described in verses like 2 Cor. 4:16.
6) Gal. 6:9 says “be not weary in well doing.”
7) 2 Thess. 3:13 says this same thing: “Brethren, be no weary in well-doing.”
8) Even the Hebrew writer – Heb. 12:3 – made this point.
9) 1 Cor. 15:58.
10) Has our Christian service to God ever made us tired?
11) In Mt. 19:27 Peter said he and others had “left all” to follow Jesus.
WHEN PEOPLE HEAR THIS INFORMATION THEY OFTEN WONDER OR ASK: WHAT WILL I GET IN RETURN?
1) Mt. 19:29 is one of the places where this subject is addressed – READ
2) 1 Cor. 15:58; the Corinthians were told their work would not be in “vain.”
3) Gal. 6:9 says those work and do not faint will “reap” at the appropriate time.
4) Living, working, and seeking to serve God on a daily basis is God’s will.
5) The world says keep, save, and even hoard.
6) God says give and give until it almost seems impossible to give any more.